Sunday 18 November 2007

Weekend in Sheffield

While most of British Team members live close to 'real rock', I'm based down in London and need to work hard to get outside. But, no matter how tired I am getting up at 6am for the drive up to the Peak it's always worth it. The weather was looking pretty dismal driving up the M1, but I was getting some positive signals from friends texting me from the Peak District. As if by magic, when we stepped out of the car at Robin Hood's Stride the sun came out and for an all to brief hour it was all t-shirts and smiles. I haven't been on the grit much lately and it was all too apparent that I was getting too used to pulling on plastic and had forgotten how to trust my feet. But it came back quickly and with Lucy Atkinson guiding me around some of the choice blocs I was climbing well again. We met Percy Bishton and Jacky Godoffe and had a go on Brutal Arete, an amazing 7b at Stanton Moor. I got halfway on my first attempt but never managed to get much past my high point though it wasn't for lack of trying. It's a beautiful line though and I can't wait to get back on it. We finished off our session with the most desperate (Font) 6a in the Peak- even Jacky bouldering god that he is- didn't make it look easy!

I was still super-keen to keep climbing so it was off to the Climbing Works for an evening session. Jacky and Taz had just re-set the lilac circuit and I managed half of it before closing time.

The next morning it was back to the Works to finish off the lilacs. Managed all but two of them and then had a play on the comp wall. By then my skin was shot and I was pretty tired so we watched the final of the Difficulty World Cup being broadcast live from Kranj before tackling the long and slow drive home. So it's back to another week of work and training before the Plywood Masters (next weekend) up at Boulder UK.

No comments: